Toprol XL (Metoprolol Succinate)
Toprol XL (Metoprolol Succinate) Medication Information
Toprol XL is a common prescribed medication that treats a variety of heart conditions. It can be prescribed for:
- Maintenance of ventricular rate control
- Prevention of atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery
- Heart failure with a reduced ejection fraction
- Early treatment of myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Secondary prevention of myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Maintenance of supraventricular tachycardia
Toprol XL belongs to the beta-blocker class of medications. It derives its name from how the medication works in the body. The heart and blood vessel cells have a type of receptor in their cell membranes called beta-adrenergic receptors. These types of receptors are responsible for regulating heart rate and blood pressure.
Beta-blockers work by “blocking” these beta-adrenergic receptors. Blocking the receptors prevents the normal signaling molecules in the blood from activating them, thus regulating heart rate and lowering blood pressure.
Your dosage of Toprol XL will depend upon which condition your doctor is treating.
The starting dose varies from 12.5 mg by mouth once daily to 50 mg by mouth once daily.
The maximum dosage is 200 mg once daily for some conditions and 400 mg once daily for others.
Take Metoprolol Succinate exactly as prescribed by your doctor, and do not change your dosage without speaking with them first.
Common side effects of Toprol XL may include:
- Arterial insufficiency
- Atrioventricular block
- Memory impairment
- Skin rash
- Sleep disturbance
- Vivid dreams
Do not abruptly stop taking Toprol XL without speaking to your doctor. Depending on your dosage, the dose may need to be lowered slowly to prevent fast heart rate, high blood pressure, or reduced blood flow to parts of the body.
Patients with airway diseases should use caution while taking beta-blockers.
Toprol XL can mask the symptoms of low blood pressure in people with diabetes.
Ask your doctor and pharmacist for a full list of side effects that applies to you.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all the medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements.
Common drug-drug interactions with Toprol XL may include:
- Calcium channel blockers
- Ergot derivatives
- Grass pollen allergen extract
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- White birch allergen extract
Store close to room temperature 25°C (77°F) between 15-30°C (59-86°F).
- Most extended-release medications cannot be cut or split, but many forms of Toprol XL can be split if the tablet is scored. Ask your pharmacist if you are needed to split your tablet.
- Toprol XL is usually taken once daily but may be taken twice a day with the same effect.
- Toprol XL may be taken with or without food.
Metoprolol Succinate FAQs
How long will I need to take Toprol XL?
Treatment is usually lifelong.
Can I drink alcohol while taking this medication?
Drink alcohol with caution. Since Toprol XL lowers the blood pressure, it can worsen dizziness while drinking alcohol.
What if I miss a dose of Toprol XL?
Take it as soon as you remember; do not double up.
- Toprol XL [package insert]. Wilmington, DE: AstraZeneca; 2009.
Author: Dr. Conor Sheehy, PharmD, BCPS
Dr. Sheehy is a board-certified pharmacotherapy specialist. He has worked in multiple practice settings, including retail and hospital pharmacies, and in medical clinics. He specializes in anticoagulation, psychiatric medications, and diabetes medications. He strives to empower his patients to understand their medications and improve their overall medical care.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.