Jardiance (Empagliflozin)(℞) Prescription Required
Jardiance Coupon Available
Take advantage of this Jardiance coupon, available only at our Canadian Pharmacy Online! Coupon is applicable on your first order over $50. Coupon codes cannot be combined and are one-time use only.
*Product images are for reference use only
Jardiance (Empagliflozin) Dosage and Side Effects
JARDIANCE is used along with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Proper Use of this medication
Follow the directions given to you by your doctor.
- once a day;
- at any time of the day;
- by mouth;
- with or without food.
Swallow whole. Do NOT cut or divide tablets.
Usual Adult dose:
Recommended starting dose: one 10 mg tablet a day.
Your doctor may increase your dose to one 25 mg tablet, if needed to further control your blood sugar level.
In case of drug overdose, contact a health care practitioner, hospital emergency department, or regional Poison Control Centre immediately, even if there are no symptoms.
Do not take a double dose of JARDIANCE.
If it is 12 hours or more until your next dose, take JARDIANCE as soon as you remember. Then take your next dose at the usual time.
If it is less than 12 hours until your next dose, skip the missed dose. Then take your next dose at the usual time.
Warnings and Precautions
Serious Warnings and Precautions
- Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a serious and life-threatening condition that requires urgent hospitalization. DKA has been reported in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), with normal or high blood sugar levels, who are treated withJARDIANCE and other sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors. Some cases of DKA have led to death.
- Seek medical attention right away and stop taking JARDIANCE immediately if you have any of the following symptoms (even if your blood sugar levels are normal): difficulty breathing, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite, confusion, feeling very thirsty, feeling unusually tired, a sweet smell to the breath, a sweet or metallic taste in the mouth or a different odour to urine or sweat.
- JARDIANCE should not be used to treat DKA or if you have a history of DKA.
- JARDIANCE should not be used in patients with type 1 diabetes.
BEFORE you use JARDIANCE talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you:
- are older than 65 years of age;
- have type 1 diabetes (your body does not produce insulin). JARDIANCE should not be used in patients with type 1 diabetes;
- have or have had any kidney problems;
- have or have had any cases of liver disease;
- have heart disease or low blood pressure;
- are taking a medicine for high blood pressure or taking a water pill (used to remove excess water from the body);
- are taking medicines to lower your blood sugar such as glyburide, gliclazide or glimepiride (sulfonylureas) or insulin. TakingJARDIANCE with any of these medicines can increase the risk of having low blood sugar (hypoglycemia);
- have intolerance to some milk sugars. JARDIANCE tablets contain lactose;
- are 85 years old or older as you should not start taking JARDIANCE;
- have an increased chance of developing DKA, including if you:
- are dehydrated or suffer from excessive vomiting, diarrhea, or sweating;
- are on a very low carbohydrate diet;
- drink a lot of alcohol;
- have/have had problems with your pancreas, including pancreatitis or surgery on your pancreas;
- are hospitalized for major surgery, serious infection or serious medical illnesses;
- have a history of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).
JARDIANCE is not recommended for use in patients under 18 years of age.
JARDIANCE will cause your urine to test positive for sugar (glucose).
JARDIANCE may cause changes in the amount of cholesterol or fats in your blood.
JARDIANCE increases the chance of getting a yeast infection of the penis or vagina. This is more likely in people who have had yeast infections in the past.
Driving and using machines:
JARDIANCE may cause dizziness or lightheadedness. Do not drive or use machines until you know how the medicine affects you.
Side effects may include:
- unusual thirst;
- passing more urine than usual or needing to pass more often;
- straining or pain when emptying the bladder.
If any of these affects you severely, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
JARDIANCE can cause abnormal blood test results. Your doctor will decide when to perform blood tests. They may check kidney function, blood fat levels and amount of red blood cells in your blood (hematocrit).
Interactions with this medication
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about all the drugs you take. This includes prescription drugs, as well as those you buy yourself, and herbal supplements.
Drugs that may interact with JARDIANCE include: medicines you take for diabetes, especially sulfonylurea medications or insulin. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) may occur if you already take another medication to treat diabetes. Discuss with your doctor how much of each medicine to take.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.