Maxalt (Rizatriptan) – Product Information
Maxalt is a prescription medication for those with who suffer from migraine headaches. It is available online on the PricePro Pharmacy website for purchase with a valid prescription, which can faxed, emailed, or uploaded.
If you want to buy Maxalt, call us or chat live with one of our customer care representatives. We would also advise you to read the “How to Order” section on our website. You will find out how to purchase Maxalt from us online and save up to 80% compared to your local pharmacy.
Maxalt is manufactured by Merck & Co. and we carry it in these dosages: 5mg and 10mg tablet. We also sell generic rizatriptan manufactured by Cipla Ltd. if you are looking for additional savings. There is no promotional Maxalt coupon currently available; however, when you pay by check you save 5% on your first order and each re-order.
What is Maxalt used for?
Maxalt is a medicine for treating migraine headaches. Also known as rizatriptan, Maxalt works by making the blood vessels in the brain narrower. It binds with the 5-HTIB/ID receptors found on the blood vessels surrounding your brain, causing them to constrict.
It minimizes chemicals in the body that cause migraine symptoms: headache, sensitivity to light and sound, nausea and pain. Note that Maxalt will only cure a headache that has already started. Thus, it should not be used to reduce your migraine attacks or to prevent them from occurring. Another point to note is that Maxalt should only be used if you suffer from diagnosed migraine headaches.
How is Maxalt dosage taken?
If taking an adult dose for a migraine headache, your initial dose should be 5mg or 10mg once daily. If you respond well to this dose, you can take a second one about two hours later. This is only if your migraine symptoms come back. Your maximum dose daily should be 30mg. One thing you should note is that a starting dose of 10mg can provide relief quickly and that’s great. Unfortunately, the odds that it would trigger adverse effects are higher.
Maxalt needs to be swallowed as soon as you start noticing symptoms of migraine. It should be taken with a glass of water with or without food. Visit your doctor if you are having over four migraine headaches in one month and Maxalt does not seem to help.
What are the side effects of Maxalt?
The most common side effects to expect after taking Maxalt include:
- Feeling numb or tingly in your toes and fingers
- Feeling cold or hot in your extremities
- Weakness, tiredness or drowsiness
- Heavy pressure sensation anywhere in your body
- Feeling pain or tightness in your chest, throat, neck or jaw.
It is not a must that you will notice the above-mentioned side effects. If they happen, however, they will most likely be tolerable.
What are the precautions of taking Maxalt?
Prior to taking Maxalt, ensure that you take certain measures. This will increase your safety and will allow your doctor know whether this medicine is right for you. So don’t use Maxalt if:
- You suffer from severe high blood pressure
- Have had heart issues before or are having them now. These may include angina, stroke, heart attack, or coronary artery disease.
- A blood circulation problem like ischemic bowel disease
- You have tension headaches rather than migraines. It is therefore important to know how to differentiate the two.
- You have taken a MAO inhibitor in the last 14 days don’t take Maxalt to prevent a dangerous drug interaction.
- You have a liver or kidney disease
- You are taking propranolol
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.