Save $10 on Ilevro Cost!
It is always nice to get an extra discount.
Simply enter Ilevro coupon code ILV10 at checkout.
Browse our offers and Rx coupons for deals on prescription drugs.
*Coupon codes cannot be combined and are for one-time use only
Ilevro (Nepafenac) Dosage and Side Effects
ILEVRO Ophthalmic Suspension is used to manage eye pain and inflammation following cataract surgery on the eye.
Proper Use of this medication
Always use ILEVRO Ophthalmic Suspension exactly as your doctor has told you.
Usual adult dose:
One drop of ILEVRO should be applied to the affected eye(s) once daily. Begin 1 day before cataract surgery. Continue on the day of surgery. Then use it for as long as your doctor told you to. This may be up to 2 weeks after your operation.
How to Use:
(See package insert for illustrations.)
- Get the ILEVRO suspension bottle and a mirror.
- Wash your hands.
- Shake well before use.
- Twist off the bottle cap.
- After cap is removed: if tamper evident snap collar is loose, remove before using product.
- Hold the bottle, pointing down, between your thumb and fingers.
- Tilt your head back.
- Pull down your lower eyelid with a clean finger until there is a ‘pocket’ between the eyelid and your eye. The drop will go in here (picture 1).
- Bring the bottle tip close to the eye. Do this in front of a mirror if it helps.
- Do not touch your eye or eyelid, surrounding areas or other surfaces with the dropper. It could infect the drops.
- Gently press on the base of the bottle to release one drop of ILEVRO suspension at a time.
- Do not squeeze the bottle: it is designed so that a gentle press on the bottom is all that it needs (picture 2).
- After using ILEVRO suspension, press a finger into the corner of your eye, by the nose (picture 3). This helps to stop ILEVROsuspension getting into the rest of the body.
- If you use drops in both eyes, repeat the steps for your other eye.
- Close the bottle cap firmly immediately after use.
- Use up one bottle before opening the next bottle If a drop misses your eye, try again.
If you use drops in both eyes, repeat the steps for your other eye. Close the bottle cap firmly immediately after use.
If you are using other eye drops wait at least 5 minutes between putting in ILEVRO and the other drops.
If you use more ILEVRO than you should, rinse it all out with warm water. Don’t put in any more drops until it’s time for your next regular dose. If accidentally ingested, contact your local poison control centre or doctor.
In case of drug overdose, contact a health care practitioner, hospital emergency department or regional Poison Control Centre immediately, even if there are no symptoms.
If you forget to use ILEVRO, use a single dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, leave out the missed dose and continue with the next dose of your regular routine. Do not use a double dose to make up for a missed dose. Do not use more than one drop in the affected eye(s) once daily.
A small number of people who use ILEVRO Ophthalmic Suspension may get side effects. They can be unpleasant, but most of them disappear rapidly.
Do not stop taking ILEVRO without speaking to your doctor. You can usually continue using the drops, unless the effects are serious. If you're worried, talk to a doctor or pharmacist.
If your eyes get redder or more painful while taking the drops: Contact your doctor immediately.
The most common side effects include eye pain, abnormal sensation in the eye, crusty eyelids, and eye surface inflammation.
Less common side effects include eye surface damage with loss of cells, blurred vision, eye itching, dry eye, eye discharge, increased tear production, eyelid inflammation, sensitivity to light, eye allergy, increased allergic symptoms, nausea, skin allergy, and headache.
Additional side effects may also affect people using ILEVRO including corneal disorder, impaired healing of the eye, reduced vision, thinning of the surface of the eye, clouding, eye surface scar, eye swelling, eye irritation, eye redness, dizziness, vomiting and increased blood pressure. Some of these effects may threaten your sight. If any of these serious eye effects occur, contact your doctor immediately.
This is not a complete list of side effects. For any unexpected effects while taking ILEVRO, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Warnings and Precautions
BEFORE you use ILEVRO Ophthalmic Suspension talk to your doctor or pharmacist if:
- you have any allergies to ILEVRO or any of its ingredients
- you bruise easily or have bleeding problems or have had them in the past
- you have had any other eye disorder (e.g. an eye infection), or recent eye surgery, or if you are using other medications in the eye (especially topical steroids)
- you have ever had an allergic reaction to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs including acetylsalicylic acid, as you may be allergic to ILEVRO
Pregnancy or breast-feeding:
If you are pregnant or might get pregnant, talk to your doctor before you use ILEVRO. The use of ILEVRO is not recommended during pregnancy. If you are breast-feeding, ILEVRO may get into your milk.
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking (or recently took) any other medicines. Remember to mention also medicines that you bought without prescription, over the counter.
While taking ILEVRO:
Tell your doctor if you are not getting any relief or if problems develop.
If you wear contact lenses:
There is a preservative in ILEVRO (benzalkonium chloride) that can discolour soft lenses and may cause eye irritation. Additionally, wearing contact lenses is not recommended after cataract surgery. Do not wear contact lenses while using ILEVRO.
Driving and using machines:
You may find that your vision is blurred for a time just after you use ILEVRO. Do not drive or use machines until your vision is clear.
Interactions with this medication
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.