Asacol (Mesalamine) Product Information
Asacol is an oral tablet for treating ulcerative colitis in adults. It can be purchased from our Canadian Pharmacy that is reputable and trustworthy. We do require a prescription to fill your order and this can be submitted to us by fax, email, or uploaded directly on the website to your account.
Order Asacol and Mesalamine Online
Brand name Asacol is manufactured by Allergan and is available in two dosages: 400mg and 800mg delayed-release tablets. We also offer generic mesalamine in the same dosages for extra savings. To order you can simply select the prescribed dosage box and view the quantities and low prices before you select the product you wish to add to your shopping cart.
What is Asacol used for?
Asacol tablets contain the active ingredient mesalamine. It is a medicine for curing active ulcerative colitis in adults.
Belonging to a category of drugs known as aminosalicylates, Asacol inhibits the buildup of inflammatory chemicals in the colon lining. So the medicine reduces the release of prostaglandins and leukotrienes, therefore decreasing the inflammation.
There are chemicals that cause ulcerative colitis, a condition that is characterized by inflammation, tissue damage and diarrhea.
Asacol oral tablets contain a slow-release coating that prevents them from dissolving until they get to the end of the small intestine.
When determining the best dosage for you, the doctor will consider the diseases you are currently having, medicines you are taking and severity of your disease.
Normally, Asacol slow-release 800mg tablets will be prescribed for an adult. These should be taken without food either one hour before eating or two hours after eating.
Take the tablets with a full glass of water too, ensuring that the dosage is correct. Asacol tablets should not be split, broken or chewed as this can damage the coating that is supposed to protect your stomach. Instead, they should be swallowed whole.
If you ever visit a different doctor for a medical test, tell them that you are on Mesalamine as it can affect the test result.
Remember to take your medicine the same hour every day and continue unless your doctor advises otherwise. It is advisable to always take your doses on time.
However, if you forget a dose, take it as soon as you can remember as long as you are not about to take the next dose. It is upon your healthcare provider to determine if taking an extra dose of Asacol will be necessary: never adjust your dose.
Asacol may have severe and mild side effects. The mild ones are more common and they usually include the following:
- Back pain
- Flu-like symptoms: runny nose, stuffy nose, sinus pain or sore throat
- Unusual liver function tests
- Skin rash
- Stomach pain
These are more tolerable and you don’t need to contact your medical expert unless they prolong and become bothersome. Call them if you develop severe side effects, which are rare, like kidney or liver issues.
It is important to know the measures to take when taking this drug. These include:
- Avoid Asacol if you have a mesalamine allergy. Likewise, don’t take it if you are allergic to salicylates, sulfasalazine and aspirin.
- Inform your doctor if you develop severe abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps.
- Let your doctor know about your pyloric stenosis
- Talk about your heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease with your physician
- If you have ever had a digestive tract blockage problem, make sure your doctor knows about it
- Let your healthcare provider know about your pregnancy or plan to conceive
- Tell your doctor that you are breastfeeding to protect your baby
- Don’t take an antacid prior to informing your doctor
- If there are other drugs you are taking, inform your physician
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.