Travatan Opth Solution
TRAVATAN ophthalmic is used to treat certain types of glaucoma and other causes of high pressure inside the eye. TRAVATAN ophthalmic (for the eye) reduces pressure in the eye by increasing the amount of fluid that drains from the eye.
Warnings and Precautions
TRAVATAN ophthalmic may cause a gradual change in the color of your eyes or eyelids and lashes, as well as increased growth or thickness of your eyelashes. These color changes, usually an increase in brown pigment, occur slowly and you may not notice them for months or years. Color changes may be permanent even after your treatment ends, and may occur only in the eye being treated. This could result in a cosmetic difference in eye or eyelash color from one eye to the other.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using TRAVATAN ophthalmic and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- redness, swelling, itching, or pain in or around your eye;
- oozing or discharge from your eye;
- increased sensitivity to light;
- vision changes; or
- chest pain.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild eye discomfort;
- feeling like something is in your eye;
- blurred vision;
- dry or watery eyes; or
- stinging or burning of the eyes after using the drops.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Interactions with this medication
Avoid using too much of this medication, which can actually make it less effective in lowering the pressure inside the eye.
Proper Use of this medication
Use this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not use the medication in larger amounts, or use it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the instructions on your prescription label.
Wash your hands before using the eye drops.
To apply the eye drops:
- Tilt your head back slightly and pull down on the lower eyelid to create a small pocket. Hold the dropper above the eye with the dropper tip down. Look up and away from the dropper. Squeeze out a drop and close your eye. Gently press your finger to the inside corner of the eye (near the nose) for about 1 minute to keep the liquid from draining into your tear duct.
- If you use more than one drop in the same eye, wait about 5 minutes before putting in the next drop. Also wait at least 5 minutes before using any other eye drops that your doctor has prescribed.
Do not allow the dropper to touch any surface, including the eyes or hands. If the dropper becomes contaminated it could cause an infection in your eye, which can lead to vision loss or serious damage to the eye.
At any time during your use of TRAVATAN ophthalmic, tell your doctor at once if you have an eye injury, if you develop an eye infection, or if you plan to have eye surgery.
Do not use the eye drops if the liquid changes colors or has particles in it.
Store the drops at room temperature away from heat and moisture. Keep the bottle tightly closed when not in use.
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine.
An overdose of TRAVATAN ophthalmic used in the eyes is not expected to produce life-threatening symptoms.
Use the medication as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and use the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Other related products
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.