Sectral (Acebutolol) Dosage and Side Effects
SECTRAL is used to treat high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat. This prescription drug is also sometimes given to treat chest pain associated with coronary artery disease.
Warnings and Precautions
Before taking SECTRAL, tell your doctor if you have, or have ever had:
- Heart failure, heart block, slow heartbeat, or other heart problems
- Low blood pressure
- Blood vessel problems
- Circulation problems
- Breathing disorders, such as bronchitis, asthma, sleep apnea, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Allergies to medication
- Overactive thyroid
- Liver or kidney disease
- Adrenal gland problems
If you have diabetes, this medicine may mask the symptoms of a low blood sugar episode. Monitor your blood sugar levels carefully while using SECTRAL.
Let your healthcare provider know you're taking SECTRAL before having any type of surgery, including a dental procedure.
Your doctor may recommend following a diet and exercise plan while taking SECTRAL. Follow these instructions carefully.
Use caution in hot weather or when exercising. These activities can increase your risk of experiencing dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting.
Continue to take SECTRAL even if you feel well. You could experience serious heart problems, such as chest pain or a heart attack, if you stop using this medicine suddenly.
Your doctor will slowly lower your dose over several weeks if you need to stop treatment with SECTRAL.
Keep all appointments with your doctor's office and laboratory while using this medicine. Your doctor will want to check your blood pressure often.
Pregnancy and SECTRAL
SECTRAL should only be used during pregnancy when clearly needed.
Tell your doctor if you're pregnant or plan to become pregnant. You'll have to discuss the risks and benefits of taking this medicine during pregnancy.
SECTRAL passes into breast milk. Don't breastfeed a baby while using this drug.
Common Side Effects of SECTRAL
Tell your doctor if any of the following side effects become severe or don't go away:
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Mild dizziness or lightheadedness
- Frequent urination
- Mild drowsiness or sleepiness
- Trouble sleeping
Serious Side Effects of SECTRAL
Tell your doctor right away if you experience any of the following serious side effects:
- Chest pain or tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet
- Slow heartbeat
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Dark-colored urine
- Pale-colored stools
- Severe or persistent nausea or loss of appetite
- Difficulty breathing, especially while lying down
- Mental or mood changes
- Severe or persistent muscle or joint pain
- Severe headache
- Blurred vision
- Pounding in your chest or ears
- Signs of a severe allergic reaction, which may include rash, hives, itching or severe itching, difficulty breathing, chest tightness, or swelling of the face, mouth, lips, or tongue
Interactions with this medication
Tell your doctor about all prescription, nonprescription, illegal, recreational, herbal, nutritional, or dietary drugs you're taking, especially:
- Drugs for allergies, asthma, colds, diabetes, or migraines
- Diet pills
- Other medicines for high blood pressure or heart problems, such as reserpine
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as Advil or Motrin (ibuprofen) and Indocin or Indo-Lemmon (indomethacin)
SECTRAL and Other Interactions
SECTRAL may cause dizziness or lightheadedness.
Don't drive, operate machinery, or perform other tasks that require alertness until you know how this medicine affects you.
SECTRAL and Alcohol
Alcohol may worsen certain side effects of SECTRAL.
Talk to your doctor before drinking alcoholic beverages while taking this drug.
Proper Use of this medication
Your dose will depend on your medical condition and response to treatment.
Try to take this medicine around the same time each day.
You can take SECTRAL with or without food.
Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully. Don't take more or less SECTRAL than is recommended.
Don't stop taking SECTRAL without first talking with your doctor.
Symptoms of an SECTRAL overdose may include:
- Difficulty breathing, especially when lying down
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the ankles
- Slow heart rate
If you suspect an overdose, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately.
Missed Dose of SECTRAL
If you miss a dose of SECTRAL, take it as soon as you remember.
But if it's almost time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular medication schedule.
Don't double up on doses to make up for a missed one.
Other related products
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.