Kemadrin (Procyclidine) Dosage and Side Effects
KEMADRIN is used for treating Parkinson disease. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor. KEMADRIN is an anticholinergic agent. It works by relaxing smooth muscle, which stops muscle spasms.
Proper Use of this medication
Use KEMADRIN as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take KEMADRIN with food or immediately after finishing a meal.
- If you miss a dose of KEMADRIN, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use KEMADRIN.
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Blurred vision; constipation; dilated pupils; dry mouth; giddiness; lightheadedness; loss of appetite; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; confusion; difficult or painful urination; difficulty swallowing; eye pain; fast or pounding heartbeat; mental or mood changes; uncontrolled movements.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Warnings and Precautions
Do NOT use KEMADRIN if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in KEMADRIN
- you have angle-closure glaucoma
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using KEMADRIN:
Some medical conditions may interact with KEMADRIN. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have glaucoma, mental or mood disorders, muscle weakness (eg, myasthenia gravis), ulcerative colitis, (eg, an enlarged prostate), or urination problems
- if you have a blockage of the stomach, esophagus, or urinary tract; kidney or liver problems; high blood pressure; heart or blood vessel disease; an irregular heartbeat; or uncontrolled movements of the hands, mouth, or tongue
Important safety information:
- KEMADRIN may cause lightheadedness or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to KEMADRIN. Using KEMADRIN alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- KEMADRIN may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. Alcohol, hot weather, exercise, and fever can increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Also, sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness, lightheadedness, or weakness.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or during exercise or other activities; heatstroke may occur.
- Use KEMADRIN with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking KEMADRIN, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using KEMADRIN during pregnancy. It is unknown if KEMADRIN is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using KEMADRIN, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Interactions with this medication
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with KEMADRIN. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Phenothiazines (eg, thioridazine) because the effectiveness may be decreased by KEMADRIN
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if KEMADRIN may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
Other related products
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.